Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zox June 21st at Castaways in Ithaca
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:56 pm 
Checkered Demon

It's not on the syracuseska.com site, so I thought I'd let people know about it.
Quote:
Tuesday June 21, 2005
Zox , $5 , 9pm
Since the release of their debut album, Take Me Home (Armo), in 2003, Providence, RI-based ZOX has emerged as one of the most promising and original new bands on the New England scene. Characterized by blistering violin melodies, a pulsating backbeat, sophisticated arrangements, and the personal songwriting of a hapless romantic, the band’s diverse sound has won followers far beyond the tyrannical boundaries of genre. In addition, the band’s intensely physical, sweat-soaked live show has attracted loyal fans and curious onlookers alike, drawing faithful crowds to clubs and colleges throughout the eastern U.S.
with Opening Act:
School Bus Yellow
School Bus Yellow is a five piece Jam, Reggae, Funk Improvisational band who's influences include The Grateful Dead, Phish and moe. along with many other various artists. The thing that sets school bus yellow apart from other bands is their ability to take all their influences and cleverly blend them together into a sound that appeals to many diverse listeners. The band strongly believes that every show should be an experience for the fan and the band to come together to enjoy the live music experience.

I'm pretty sure it's 18+ because Castaways pretty much always is, but if you can get there, Zox is well worth your time. They put on a great show, and I just got their new cd, "The Wait", yesterday and I'm already in love with it. Not EXACTLY ska, but close enough.

Post subject: Re: Zox June 21st at Castaways in Ithaca
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:19 am 
Syracuse Ska

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
It's not on the syracuseska.com site, so I thought I'd let people know about it.
Quote:
Tuesday June 21, 2005
Zox , $5 , 9pm

I'm pretty sure it's 18+ because Castaways pretty much always is, but if you can get there, Zox is well worth your time. They put on a great show, and I just got their new cd, "The Wait", yesterday and I'm already in love with it. Not EXACTLY ska, but close enough.

Well, I've listed their shows before, so I've now listed this one as well. It was nothing more than me not checking the Castaways website or talking to Will in awhile ...

I have "Take Me Home", which I'm pretty sure is their first album. They went to Brown Univ together and originally I gather were totally ska. In fact, The Cure mixed with ska, which I find totally cool. But even on that album, they're already transitioning to more rock, which doesn't bother me. And I've heard they can get very, very jammy. Again, doesn't bother me. But damn, the stuff where the mix The Cure and ska, I hope they always use that in their set. That is amazingly good stuff. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:45 am 
Ska Queen

I've been to a couple shows at Castaways now. If you call and let them know your'e coming, and you have ID and a parental unit of some sort, they let you in 16+.

I wish I could go. I've heard good things about ZOX. I love violin, and The Cure is amazing. Rock, and jam bands, are what I'm all about.

Okay, so I'm really just about music in general. Anyway, I can't go. No ride. :( Someone let me know how it goes though...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:47 pm 
Checkered Demon

Well, I'll post about it if you want after it happens. It's a three minute drive from my apartment, so I'll be there without a doubt. I can tell you in advance though, it'll be a great show. I've seen them 2x before at Castaways and had a blast both times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:50 am 
Syracuse Ska

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
Well, I'll post about it if you want after it happens. It's a three minute drive from my apartment, so I'll be there without a doubt. I can tell you in advance though, it'll be a great show. I've seen them 2x before at Castaways and had a blast both times.

Jay of Public Access in Albany has booked them numerous times and can't rave enough about them. "The Squid" is one of my favorite ska songs anywhere ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:23 am 
Ska Queen

If I get into Cornell, you're going to be my new best friend Danny. Hehe, just to warn you ahead of time. If we get along and you decide you like hanging out with me, we will go to many a ska show. And I plan to live down at Castaways on Tuesday nights. Bwahahahahahaha.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:54 am 
Checkered Demon

hahaha, interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:10 pm 
Checkered Demon

so, is anyone actually going to this? or am i going to be by my lonesome?