Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:18 pm 
Kingston Beat

Even Matt Dunn shows don't have any shit anymore. The gay tony era is over and done with. There arn't any fights or drama. Except by people who invent it cause they are bored. You want some drama go to Auburn with the 16 year olds, I won't despute that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:31 pm 
Scene Diety

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately it has turned into a trend which I never wanted to happen.

Trust me buddy, it was just as trendy when you were still a smear in your mom's panties.

Quote:
lately ive been quite involved in the syracuse hardcore scene, and almost all the edge kids are f*ck ing assholes and WILL kick your ass for not being edge

Seriously. What kind of shows are YOU going to? Sounds like a severe case of Matt Dunnery Mall Hardcore to me.

Try hanging out with some decent people. There are plenty of positive hardcore shindigs that go down in Syracuse. I'll try to remember to post the info here too so you can check it out.

Hell, I'll hook you up with some killer mix tapes of some good local/regional stuff you should check out if you want.

i dont even really like hardcore, but thanks for the offer of the tapes
my involvement has been from the band im in playing shows. after we played i heard a bunch of kids talking shit outside of the westcott. i certainly got carried away when i said "almost all the edge kids..." i was just caught up in the moment. in fact i found myself defending peacefulness of straight edge after the geraldo rivera/ reno bullshit. its just when nate said something about edge assholes, my thoughts immediately switched to thoughts of FSU sending 12 year old kids to the hospital and STS kids just being dicks (even though im friends with some STS kids). im gonna come out and say it, i was wrong :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:57 pm 
Kingston Beat

And this is why we all listen to ska because now we can forget about it all and listen to something that'll make you feel warm and fuzzy heh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:54 pm 
Paid Some Dues

I'm not straight edge. Alot comes with being straight edge, not just drinking or not drinking. It becomes a touchy subject, when it should really just be kept private. Not tattoo'd on someone's body, expressed through shirts, patches, and buttons. Everyone is cashing in on this whole "straight edge" trend, that's how I feel atleast. The best thing is to just do what you do, and not worry about labeling yourself as sXe or not.

be yourself

Logan*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:10 am 
Syracuse Ska

While I appreciate what Logan just said, allow me to approach this another way ...

From my vantage point, there's nothing wrong with tattoos, patches, shirts or labels per se. We all tend to ID ourselves how we seek to be seen. I find absolutely nothing wrong with self-labeling.

Where I severely draw the line is HOLIER THAN THOU PREACHING.

You can share your beliefs, ideas and values. No problem, whatsoever. But when you clearly imply or state that ONLY YOUR BELIEFS COUNT, then you've crossed the line, in my book at least.

The Skatalites to me epitomize how the world should work. They formed as a band to play ska music, travel the world and be ambassadors from Jamaica. At least originally, some were born-again Christians, some pot-smoking rastas and some agnostics. But they laid aside their differences on those issues and enjoyed the music together.

We're never going to get along in this world by telling everyone different than ourselves that they're wrong or immoral or worthy of death or going to hell. WE'RE ALL IMPERFECT PEOPLE SEEKING HAPPINESS IN THIS WORLD. And none of us will find it until we allow others some peace and justice in their own view of the world.

Okay, sorry for the rant ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:10 am 
Ska Queen

Very nice Danny. Very nice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:52 am 
Kingston Beat

Okay lovely, let's lock this thread now shall we.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:59 pm 
Ruder Than You

Wasn't Straight Edge just Ian Mckaye's plot to brainwash kids to form a nazi army and take over the world? It seems to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:16 pm 
Scene Diety

'this is no set of rules, I'm not telling you what to say or do...'

"I guess I coined the phrase but certainly never intended to start a movement."

-Ian Mackaye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:06 am 
Rude & Reckless

wow i can really see how this thread is helping the scene.......

the sXe vs non strait edge usually end up with little squabbles like this and it was pointless and irrelevant to bring it up. which is pretty much what everybody else is saying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 pm 
Checkered Demon

skadanny wrote:

You can share your beliefs, ideas and values. No problem, whatsoever. But when you clearly imply or state that ONLY YOUR BELIEFS COUNT, then you've crossed the line, in my book at least.

I came in here to say exactly this.

Ironically though, does anyone else see the conundrum of the fact that this in itself is a belief and therefore, by drawing the line on other people, you are imposing a belief/ideal/value upon them?

I still agree with your point. It's just ironic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:54 pm 
Scene Diety

lets not restart this thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:58 pm 
Scene Diety

TrevoRoverT wrote:
lets not restart this thread

ok ok ok, just one last thing.... im playing bass for a band at the militant straight edge fest in auburn hahahha :lol:

im definetly NOT militant straight edge though, im only doing it cuz its my friends band and its gonna be wicked fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:51 am 
Syracuse Ska

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
skadanny wrote:

I came in here to say exactly this.

Ironically though, does anyone else see the conundrum of the fact that this in itself is a belief and therefore, by drawing the line on other people, you are imposing a belief/ideal/value upon them?

I still agree with your point. It's just ironic...

No, it's a valid point.

But I don't agree with the worldview that "everyone should do whatever they want". I find that a recipe for whoever has more power to bully whoever has less. And I find "holier than thou" preaching to be a form of bullying.

But of course, it can be argued that I'm bullying the bullies. Maybe even just by labelling them as such. I don't pretend its not a paradox. From what I can see, human society has to find ways to get along and brute power seems an outdated way to decide things. I like to think we've evolved beyond that.

I find this such an interesting point of discussion that I'm going to start a new thread about it ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:59 am 
Slum Lord

TrevoRoverT wrote:
LaZy wrote:
To be straight edge is to commit yourself to not doing those things for the rest of your life.

just to quote Ian Mackaye and paraphrase from out of step, "its not a set of rules"

even though i shouldnt bring ian mackaye in to this cuz hes now a heroin addict and condemns straight edge...

I'm sure he condems it because of how out of hand it has gotten. Thanks to all of the "Hate-Edge" kids running around lots of people are a little apprehensive about going to shows.
I am Straight-Edge and have been for almost 4 years now. Never thought about drinking or drugs, but I do drink soda(Caffeine) and i do take allergy medicine, and I do eat meat. According to some that means I'm not sXe, and at times I considered not calling myself Edge. But then I thought about it and decided that being straight-edge is for me and I'll decide what "requirements" there are, exept for the three basic ones, those are mandatory.
Do it for yourself and no one else, promoting it is good but don't be preachy. I always wear the X at shows so if you see me come talk to me. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next