Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:51 am 
New Kid

I have been named Toby by the Birdman (who is, after all, not a man in the least but rather a Katie-Jane-Yates-thing). We will ignore the name that is technically mine because it has been renounced. Renounced, I say. I am housed 5-and-a-half blocks from the Westcott, which makes me happy, except when I am being housed in Clay, which is pure lunacy. And in between, I am housed at MPH (a common enough affliction here). When I do not write, I draw naked people.

My fatherman tired of the radio box, and bought a new one. And out of this lovely new radio box last summer came the delights of Skanorreha. And there is of course, the Trevor to Rocks/Bird to Toby line of burned disks of elation. WILL SOMEONE NAMED ROXANNE BURN ME MORE BEFORE NEXT YEAR!

Catch 22, most likely. But, y'know, Streelight Manifest and Op-Ivy and such things. And Razbari Sumthing (despite their spelling). And so on, but there are not enough keys on the keyboard.

I like that it is fun. There is no pressure (that I can tell) to be one way or another . . . it's the anti-scene scene. Everyone is totally cool and accepting. I wish the world was the ska scene. And I don't know anyone who 'can't' skank and I don't see how ska could fail to make people happy.

Wrestling with Yates . . . fun.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Ruder Than You

OneMoreFreek wrote:
I have been named Toby by the Birdman (who is, after all, not a man in the least but rather a Katie-Jane-Yates-thing). We will ignore the name that is technically mine because it has been renounced. Renounced, I say. I am housed 5-and-a-half blocks from the Westcott, which makes me happy, except when I am being housed in Clay, which is pure lunacy. And in between, I am housed at MPH (a common enough affliction here). When I do not write, I draw naked people.

My fatherman tired of the radio box, and bought a new one. And out of this lovely new radio box last summer came the delights of Skanorreha. And there is of course, the Trevor to Rocks/Bird to Toby line of burned disks of elation. WILL SOMEONE NAMED ROXANNE BURN ME MORE BEFORE NEXT YEAR!

Catch 22, most likely. But, y'know, Streelight Manifest and Op-Ivy and such things. And Razbari Sumthing (despite their spelling). And so on, but there are not enough keys on the keyboard.

I like that it is fun. There is no pressure (that I can tell) to be one way or another . . . it's the anti-scene scene. Everyone is totally cool and accepting. I wish the world was the ska scene. And I don't know anyone who 'can't' skank and I don't see how ska could fail to make people happy.

Wrestling with Yates . . . fun.[/b]

Wait... the world isn't the ska scene?

Oh... man... and next you're gonna tell me that Bippy and his mutinous elves are a myth.

And next year is technically very soon. I will get burning when I have time to do things at home aside from sleeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:58 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) Howdy, my name is Dusty. I live in Cazenovia NY, its about 30minutes out of syracuse, past manlius. I play drums...currently lookin for a band of almost any kind at this point, and i love goin to ska and hardcore shows...

2) i saw Razbari Sumthing at a huge boy scout thing at a college bout 2 or 3 years ago, back when vinnie played keyboard and they had Justin Ezzo on the skins. i dont remember where it was, but it was soon after they released the "Forget the Words" cd. saw them play, learned how to skank, and i was hooked

3) Razbari Sumthing, Catch 22, the Know How, Public Access, the Naked Citizens, The Benifits, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, the toasters, Mustard Plug, Rex Banner, the Distorted Penguins, the Skatalites, and many mo...

4) the kick ass bands, the people who are in the scene and go to every show, and those ppl who dedicate them selves to making it all happen (Props to Ska Dan and Twitch)

5) Probably the RazSum CD release show. Bands always say that they want to see every person skanking around and get half the room moving, but RazSum got all but 5 or 6 ppl goin, it was amazing

http://www.myspace.com/dman_3x1x5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:27 pm 
Paid Some Dues

i didnt read the thing before i posted...

hey, i'm new to this forum but my name is brian and i play drums for the naked citizens and some other punk ska bands. i work at a school for mentaly and physicaly disabled children as a para proffesional.

my favorite bands are

beefcake, cooter, lounge, the skunks, mephiskapheles, nerf herder, soul 4 sale, public access, raz sum, issac green and the skalors, inspector 7, selector, reel big fish, voodoo glow skulls, 30footFALL, the white kaps, out of order(the ska band not the hardcore band), ignite, telegraph, leftover crack, the toasters, sublime, the schematics R.I.P., black flag, the germs, the specials, judge dread, the bosstones, skankin pickle, ASOB, lagwagon, nofx, oxymoron, the exploited, the aquabats, the misfits, the bouncing souls, liberator, homegrown(old), blink 182(old), armed suspects, the retorts, mad caddies, the square roots, the rudiments, link 80, reverand horton heat, straight faced, pietasters, streetlight manifesto. big d and the kids table, the sleazies, planet smashers ect...

yeah, i'm done ranting. later
brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:56 pm 
Paid Some Dues

ok i messed up really bads my first time

1)my name is brian, i play drums for the naked citizens and i work with handicap kids

2) i got into ska when it got big in 96 with reel big fish and sublime, i was the only one in my school who didnt stop listening to it when the trend died out.

3)my favorite bands are listend above.

4) i love how most people are friendly in the scene. except the skinhead oldschool know it alls who think you need to sound like madness and the specials to be ska.

5) my favorite show was my first show with the schematics in like 98 at this club called the planetarium (i think thats were it was)

yup, thats it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:54 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) my name is steve, im 17 and from manlius NY
2) I got into ska from my older brother, he had some sogns on the comptuer i liked by straighter then pete and then got me to play trumpet for him in magic goat.
3) I really like the OC supertones, Streetlight manifesto, IV4K, Big D and the kids table, Mustard Plug, and less than jake.
4) i like how basically everyone involved are nice
5) seeing straighter than pete at skalloween over a year ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:48 am 
The Secret Ions

my names nate
my old username doesnt work anymore
im in the new Secret Ions(not the drummer... but the guitar/singer)
i play guitar
i got into ska by listening to punk, and a few bands had tracks that were ska derived
Some of my favorite bands are razsum, catch22, mad caddies, distorted penguins, naked citizens, off main street, and yeah, almost anything really.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:34 am 
New Kid

Hi everyone. My name is Tony. I'm in a ska band called "stealing from peter" from connecticut (http://www.myspace.com/stealingfrompeter) i had some free time yesterday so i scoured the internet for signs of ska life...and i found it here. so hello. I some how managed to find myself to the old messageboard last night, and made a post. There is a link somewhere, oops. Either way, i think this morning i found myself to the RIGHT place.

Well, now, let's see...
i'm 20 years old. i love to make music. i work closely with http://www.ctska.com which is basically the equivalent to this website but for pretty much our whole state. If any of the bands are looking for shows in the CT area go check out the site and contact gartywood@ctska.com. He'll be sure to help you out.

you should also check out http://www.northeastska.com It's run by a few of the guys from "Axis of evil!" who i believe are passing through your region soon.

i guess that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:06 pm 
585 Ska

The Flamingos were a blast last week, and we're excited about Axis of Evil! coming through next week.

I look forward to working with our eastern neighbors in the coming months.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:15 pm 
New Kid

LET'S DO IT!

I seriously had no idea how many ska bands new york had...and i certainly did not know that there was a unification station such as this website. We all need to start working together, become friends, and show people what ska is! (in my humble opinion.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:28 am 
Syracuse Ska

sfptony wrote:
I seriously had no idea how many ska bands new york had...and i certainly did not know that there was a unification station such as this website. We all need to start working together, become friends, and show people what ska is! (in my humble opinion.)

There might actually be far more New York ska bands than you realize. First, there are a bunch of new ones that I haven't gotten around to adding to the website lately. Plus, Syracuse Ska has always limited itself to "our" definition of Upstate NY, which is everything north of Westchester and Rockland counties, since that's clearly where the NYC suburbs begin. So, don't forget to add in Long Island, NYC and Westchester and Rockland counties too.

The various ska scenes in Upstate NY are working together pretty closely right now, which is a very good thing. I remember for quite awhile we kinda all just existed in our own little scenes. So yeah, the growing interaction between Upstate NY ska and CT ska is a very good thing.

Lastly, I'm working with Garty to bring Stealing From Peter to Syracuse and possibly beyond. Probably sometime in February. In the meantime, thanks for sending us The Flamingos and Axis of Evil. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:54 am 
585 Ska

aka_twitch wrote:
The Flamingos were a blast last week, and we're excited about Axis of Evil! coming through next week.

Go North of the Border instead.

Well, I'm sure that a savior's born every fucking day
But they learn not to care before anything is saved

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:42 am 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:
aka_twitch wrote:

Go North of the Border instead.

Easier said than done. There are so many Montreal ska bands I've been unable to get down here, because crossing the border is such a hassle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:12 am 
585 Ska

I was just disagreeing with him to be disagreeable

Well, I'm sure that a savior's born every fucking day
But they learn not to care before anything is saved

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:46 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:
I was just disagreeing with him to be disagreeable

That's so out of character for you.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next