Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kingston Beat radio show
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:43 am 
Syracuse Ska

I just totally re-vamped the description page for my "Kingston Beat" radio show on Syracuse Community Radio and would be interested what anyone here thought of the new version (the old was extremely lame, trust me).

Just in case its not totally apparent, I'm trying to use the show to lure in the merely curious, not just the hardened ska fans already out there (who form the bulk of who actually listens each week). That's why I went into the whole description of ska.

We're hoping to start archiving soon, which will not only allow you to hear the show on your schedule, but also to podcast it, if you prefer. I'm really, really looking forward to that. :wink:

When I find the time and money, I really hope to eventually make this radio show world class and not simply better-than-average, which is how I'd describe it now. You'd just be amazed how much time and effort that can really take. Now of course, if I had someone helping me with the show (more than one would be even better), then we could speed the process up that way as well. Let me know if anyone here is interested in that at all...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:27 am 
Ska Queen

::raises hand::
me me me!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:52 pm 
Checkered Demon

Just a suggestion:
I'm sure you know of internet radio. You can have shows more often and have different DJs and stuff with having too much trouble. You can even have other people DJ from their own computer, so you aren't just stuck in one place. I don't know though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:57 am 
Syracuse Ska

8 wrote:
Just a suggestion:
I'm sure you know of internet radio. You can have shows more often and have different DJs and stuff with having too much trouble. You can even have other people DJ from their own computer, so you aren't just stuck in one place. I don't know though.

We're already doing "internet radio", so I know what you're saying. But we're tied to an FCC licensed station that is planning to expand to the City of Syracuse on the FM dial. But by archiving, we can get the same effect that you're talking about.

FWIW, the licensing fees for internet radio are rather expensive. They don't scale them down much for little operations. We're paying close to $1000 a year just for internet rights alone, which is the bare minimum. And then there's the cost of bandwidth too. It adds up quickly ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:25 pm 
The Hoboz

Internet rights? I thought internet radio was free (excluding bandwidth and all that good stuff)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:22 am 
Syracuse Ska

go2hell wrote:
Internet rights? I thought internet radio was free (excluding bandwidth and all that good stuff)?

ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and RIAA all get licensing fees for internet radio. If you broadcast from your bedroom, you might avoid all that, but even our little radio station is way too big to hide from those guys, so we pay the fees. And if you ask for money to recoup your costs (which we do), you'll definitely get hit up for those fees.

BTW, we already pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC for our radio signal, but these are fees in addition to those ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:11 am 
585 Ska

I don't think TUTS paid any of those Alex...

Profile E-mail