Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Danny
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:00 am 
NJ Drama Queen

can you keep an eye out for any good deals for scooters for me? I've been wanting one for a while and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm willing to drive up your way if you find something sweet.

Post subject: Re: Danny
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am 
Syracuse Ska

NJSkaStomp wrote:
can you keep an eye out for any good deals for scooters for me? I've been wanting one for a while and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm willing to drive up your way if you find something sweet.

I got a whole backyard full of restored Vespa GSs just looking for good home for $50.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:14 am 
NJ Drama Queen

skadanny wrote:
NJSkaStomp wrote:

I got a whole backyard full of restored Vespa GSs just looking for good home for $50.

Wait...what?

Really?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:28 pm 
Syracuse Ska

You need to do a little research, because I threw out an obvious joke that flew by you.

First, the lowliest restored vintage Vespa is worth good money. A "cheap" restored Vespa would be at least $2000, bare minimum. And that would be something crappy like a 3-speed 125 or a 50cc model, both of which are glorified mopeds -- meaning good luck getting them over 40mph, tops. I've picked up numerous trashed 125s for free and walked away from them because they're honestly not worth restoring. Their main value is as pretty store displays (and yes, there is a definite market for that).

Second, the Vespa GS is a legendary vintage model. A rusted out one falling apart would still be worth $2000 and a restored one $5000 easily on the low side.

In summary, I was messing with you, sorry.

So you know, if I found a "cheap" Vespa, as a hardcore scooterist, I would hook up a local with it, just like most other hardcore scooterists would. Anyone else would just flip it and make some good money. Your best way to get a deal is to befriend a local scooter club near you and have them help you find something you can afford and be happy with and then in turn they'll expect you to ride with them after you get it. They would be helping you to expand their group.

Scooters come in as many variations as cars, so without some research, you really won't know what you're looking at or what it's worth. If you are remotely serious, you need to do some of that research.

Take care,
Danny

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:22 pm 
NJ Drama Queen

skadanny wrote:
You need to do a little research, because I threw out an obvious joke that flew by you.

First, the lowliest restored vintage Vespa is worth good money. A "cheap" restored Vespa would be at least $2000, bare minimum. And that would be something crappy like a 3-speed 125 or a 50cc model, both of which are glorified mopeds -- meaning good luck getting them over 40mph, tops. I've picked up numerous trashed 125s for free and walked away from them because they're honestly not worth restoring. Their main value is as pretty store displays (and yes, there is a definite market for that).

Second, the Vespa GS is a legendary vintage model. A rusted out one falling apart would still be worth $2000 and a restored one $5000 easily on the low side.

In summary, I was messing with you, sorry.

So you know, if I found a "cheap" Vespa, as a hardcore scooterist, I would hook up a local with it, just like most other hardcore scooterists would. Anyone else would just flip it and make some good money. Your best way to get a deal is to befriend a local scooter club near you and have them help you find something you can afford and be happy with and then in turn they'll expect you to ride with them after you get it. They would be helping you to expand their group.

Scooters come in as many variations as cars, so without some research, you really won't know what you're looking at or what it's worth. If you are remotely serious, you need to do some of that research.

Take care,
Danny

I figured as much. I know GS's are more rare, but you never know what someone can have or be willing to unload. I have friends around Philly who find cheap(er) Vespas that people are unloading for under $1,200 and they fix them up. AND, I have friends that are in scooter clubs that are keeping their eyes open for good deals as well. Just figured I'd ask and see if you knew if anything was available.

Dick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:47 pm 
Syracuse Ska

NJSkaStomp wrote:
Dick.

That's easily the nicest thing you've ever said to me Travis -- thanks!!! :pirate:

NJSkaStomp wrote:
I figured as much. I know GS's are more rare, but you never know what someone can have or be willing to unload. I have friends around Philly who find cheap(er) Vespas that people are unloading for under $1,200 and they fix them up. AND, I have friends that are in scooter clubs that are keeping their eyes open for good deals as well. Just figured I'd ask and see if you knew if anything was available.

GSs are SUPER RARE.

Honestly, I have too much personal scooter business to work on in 2011, so I really can't help you, sorry. I gotta get a Vespa VBB and a Lambretta TV200 on the road this coming year and that's a lot of work all by itself. And once we get everyone riding again, typically I will be deluged by locals wanting scooters and to rebuild our club, I really gotta keep as many bikes in town as possible. Until very recently, Syracuse never had a Vespa dealer, so the vintage scooters locally have never been common and the few we have had mostly seem to end up on Ebay, which is a crying shame.

But I truly hope you work something out and get a scooter in 2011. Lot of good scooterists in the Philly area and I'm sure they'll hook you up.

Take care!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:24 am 
NJ Drama Queen

I didn't know that Scooter clubs were all the rage in Syracuse. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:04 pm 
Syracuse Ska

NJSkaStomp wrote:
I didn't know that Scooter clubs were all the rage in Syracuse.

They're all the rage everywhere, honestly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 am 
Redeemed Hooligan

this could be my year as well to get a scooter. my nepal trip has been my savings priority this last year but now that that is coming to an end its time to get down to scooter business.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 am 
NJ Drama Queen

Just wanted to update you that my friend Justin located a 79' p200e for me!

Danny, are you going to the East Coast Classic Scooter Rally in June?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:23 pm 
Syracuse Ska

NJSkaStomp wrote:
Just wanted to update you that my friend Justin located a 79' p200e for me!

CONGRATS!!! I started with a P200 also and they are rock solid.

NJSkaStomp wrote:
Danny, are you going to the East Coast Classic Scooter Rally in June?

It's still snowing and January. No idea right now, but I've never been before. But I've always heard the Cape May NJ area is really pretty. I've ridden around Atlantic City and wasn't too crazy about the place though being around the ocean anywhere is nice.

As long as we're going down this path, any chance you would catch Niagara? Much closer to me and I've been to that one more than any of the others. It gets pretty crazy but it pulls in from all over NYS and the Toronto crowd too. My main interest is just seeing old friends.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:21 pm 
NJ Drama Queen

When is the Niagara rally?

p.s. Its like 7+ hours from me by car. I could only imagine how long it'd take by Scoot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:35 pm 
Syracuse Ska

NJSkaStomp wrote:
When is the Niagara rally?

It's always Victoria's Day weekend, which is always the weekend before Memorial Day weekend here. It's sponsored by a group of crazies from Toronto and that's their official summer kickoff just like the following weekend is here. It's literally held at a biker campground with all that implies.

NJSkaStomp wrote:
p.s. Its like 7+ hours from me by car. I could only imagine how long it'd take by Scoot.

Same thing in reverse for us here to Cape May, NJ, haha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 am 
NJ Drama Queen

Never posted about it because I haven't been on here in a while, but I picked up my 79' P200E in February and am in the process of attaining the title through NJ + stripping, painting, and all the other fun shit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:16 pm 
NJ Drama Queen

Danny, I just picked up myself a 1974 Primavera 125cc to pair up with my P200.

Squeeeeeee