Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: july shows
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:57 pm 
Paid Some Dues

hey i was wondering are their any wescott shows being worked on for the month of july?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:05 pm 
Kingston Beat

you will know when they are confirmed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:52 pm 
Scene Diety

we definetly need july shows. one of my very good friends is moving out west at the end of july, he said he really wants to go to some shows and have fun before he leaves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:33 pm 
Show Regular

wesTcott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:34 pm 
Scene Diety

ive noticed that westcott gets mispelled a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:33 am 
Syracuse Ska

TrevoRoverT wrote:

Yeah, and the hilarious thing is, it's often misspelled on flyers posted on the building itself. :wink:

As for July shows, yes, I'm working on 2 of them right now. One might be at the Westcott or maybe Winoa instead. The other will probably be at Coffee Pavilion.

The next few days I'm concentrating on getting Ska Is Dead 3 for Syracuse, so everything else is on the back burner, sorry. We'll probably know by the end of the week if we've succeeded or if you'll be driving to Albany or Binghamton to see the tour ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:07 am 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
TrevoRoverT wrote:

Yeah, and the hilarious thing is, it's often misspelled on flyers posted on the building itself. :wink:

As for July shows, yes, I'm working on 2 of them right now. One might be at the Westcott or maybe Winoa instead. The other will probably be at Coffee Pavilion.

The next few days I'm concentrating on getting Ska Is Dead 3 for Syracuse, so everything else is on the back burner, sorry. We'll probably know by the end of the week if we've succeeded or if you'll be driving to Albany or Binghamton to see the tour ...

Any idea if it is hitting Buffalo or Rochester Danny?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: sid3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:24 pm 
Ruder Than You

they only have room for ONE upstate date, which kinda sucks. seems like its down to syracuse, albany, and binghamton.

Post subject: sid3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:34 pm 
Ruder Than You

oh yeah, i think theyre doin buffalo, then goin out to the midwest, then coming back east. i think. maybe. possibly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:30 am 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:

Sorry, I don't know right now, because I haven't asked yet. But I'd take an educated guess that it'll probably stop in Buffalo and skip Rochester. I just can't imagine anyone in Rochester bidding on it, while I'd think a couple people in Buffalo would be willing to do it there. Turns out 2 people in Albany bid for it and we already know one of them is out of the running ...

I'm trying hard to mount a successful 11th hour bid, but I'm not going to sell my sister to do it. I suspect the bids I'm competing with can't be too high or the deal would probably have been completed already, but we'll probably know by the end of this week either way.

The first Ska Is Dead tour came very close to skipping us and of course, we missed out on the 2nd one. If the 3rd one stops in Syracuse, awesome, and if not, life will go on. We'll have some kickass shows coming regardless. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:54 am 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sorry, I don't know right now, because I haven't asked yet. But I'd take an educated guess that it'll probably stop in Buffalo and skip Rochester. I just can't imagine anyone in Rochester bidding on it, while I'd think a couple people in Buffalo would be willing to do it there. Turns out 2 people in Albany bid for it and we already know one of them is out of the running ...

I'm trying hard to mount a successful 11th hour bid, but I'm not going to sell my sister to do it. I suspect the bids I'm competing with can't be too high or the deal would probably have been completed already, but we'll probably know by the end of this week either way.

The first Ska Is Dead tour came very close to skipping us and of course, we missed out on the 2nd one. If the 3rd one stops in Syracuse, awesome, and if not, life will go on. We'll have some kickass shows coming regardless. :wink:

I figured as much, if you find out anything else just let me know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:25 am 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:
I figured as much, if you find out anything else just let me know.

Okay. I'll only tell you. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:13 pm 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
I just can't imagine anyone in Rochester bidding on it, while I'd think a couple people in Buffalo would be willing to do it there.

What is this "bidding" that you speak of? Inquiring would-be Ska Bosses want to know. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:58 am 
Syracuse Ska

aka_twitch wrote:
What is this "bidding" that you speak of? Inquiring would-be Ska Bosses want to know. :)

It's a very basic concept of supply and demand. The vast majority of bands literally beg for shows. And those begging bands always do it personally. Once a band gets large enough, it hires a booking agent to do the begging for them, as it were.

A very tiny, select group of bands has agents that get offered more shows than the bands can actually play. Thus, those that want them "bid" for the right to do the show on those dates. Bids are combinations of guaranteed cash, percentages of the door after the show breaks even and other inducements (like hotel rooms or better venues or towns they haven't played in awhile). And of course, you trust people you've dealt with before as opposed to strangers.

The whole process favors those with the deepest pockets. And I'm definitely not one of those people. :cry:

I hope that somewhat answers your question ...

Profile E-mail