Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:45 am 
Syracuse Ska

emajohann wrote:
Lazy Wrote: Anyway, does anyone know of a large coffeehouse we can use somewhere??????

you guys try freedom of expresso in fayetteville, i don't know if they do music or not, but you can try there. They have a decent amount of space.

I'm the one who asked that question, not "Lazy", LOL. :wink:

Anyways, feel free to talk to the people in F'ville and see how they feel about it. I've spoken before to the locations on the northside and in Armory Square and neither seemed very enthused about the idea. Both of those locations close quite early and do mostly takeout business, which means we'd be in their way on both counts. I ran into the same problem with the lady who ran the basement sandwich shop in the old Chuck's space (now its moved to the ground level anyway). She just wasn't at all excited about the idea.

Most coffeehouses find teens mostly undesirable as customers, just to warn you. Too many of your compatriots buy very little, hang out way too long and annoy the paying clientele. It was a big problem at Happy Endings before it shut down. Energetic teens run off the older clientele that happily buy lots of stuff and then leave in less than an hour. That's part of why we have to police ourselves when we do find coffeehouses willing to let us do shows ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:28 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

I've hated the lost horizon tundra tavern for 20 years. i was sad to see ska shows resorting to that hole and i hope they can find an alt venue. we always boycotted that place if possible. the list of problems with the room the staff etc etc etc is extremely long. i heard it was renovated, but who cares its still evil.
do i have a great alternative all lined up??? no, i wish i did. i thought bridge st music hall was a pretty crappy room as well. big cavernous box. i still think that a polish hall or the like would be best althougth you would need your own PA. you controll your own gate etc no greedy owner is gonna try and get a cut of your door or merch and most a have a bar attached for the 21+ crowd to show id and drink at. some are huge some are medium sized and there are tons of VFWs legion hall s posts elks lyons etc etc etc most all of them have a hall space there has to be some that are not spurned against kids from a past punk rock horror incident. a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:04 pm 
Paid Some Dues

While the lost horizon (club tundra..god thats a stupid name) isn't the best place for shows, it's certainly not the worst place either. I've seen so many shows there over the years, I kind of miss it a little. There seems to be somebody who has a problem with every venue, so I say have as many shows as possible at as many venues as possible.

No offense to the kids out there, but I was under 18 for a long time and had to miss my fair share of shows that I would have loved to see. It's a shame to not bring these shows to Syracuse solely because you can't have it all ages. (you did seem to say tundra was allowing all ages though, thats cool) Take advantage of the current situation that seems to include them being receptive to shows once again. If it's a good show, I'm gonna go see it wherever it's at.
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:38 pm 
Kingston Beat

mmmburritos wrote:
There seems to be somebody who has a problem with every venue, so I say have as many shows as possible at as many venues as possible.

Seriously, I hate when people whine about venues. Stop being spoiled brats and be happy when there is a venue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:21 pm 
Syracuse Ska

LaZy wrote:
Seriously, I hate when people whine about venues. Stop being spoiled brats and be happy when there is a venue.

Agreed. It's not easy finding ANY venue a lot of times ...

That said, I recognize that every venue has pluses and minuses that affect who all will show up. That's just reality. And THAT'S what I'm wanting to hear.

But just the same, try to catch shows where they happen. Having them always at your favorite venue just isn't possible, sorry ...

[/i]

Profile E-mail