Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most unique ska band?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 am 
Book it Up Rochester

I think that this could be a controversial discussion, because some of the most unique "ska" bands, in my mind, may not be perceived as ska at all by the traditional ska fan.

Here's one that IS ska: Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. While I wouldn't say that the music itself if particularly wild, it is refreshing to hear a strictly acoustic ska sound, complemented by string and woodwind instruments (woodwind instruments aside from the sax).

Here's a band that isn't always playing ska, but I think that their take on ska should be commended here: Bomb the Music Industry! This band's use of sythesizer and 8-bit video game-style sound effects sets them apart from the vast majority of ska bands.

Last ones I want to mention: The Flaming Tsunamis and Paranoia Dance Party. I think that both bands are wildly unique, heavier than most other bands in the realm and diverse as can be (I don't think that the diversity of TFT is represented fully in their latest tracks, but old TFT definitely has a lot of genre-blending).

What do you think?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Most unique ska band?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am 
New Kid

I wish TFT's new stuff was half as good as their old stuff. Yeah, cliche thing to say...but it's true. They are unique; but they lost that little bit of ska they had in the "zombies vs robots" days and before.

That said...an AWESOME and unique skacore band from Trier, Germany: The Bandgeek Mafia. (Again, their first album was better than the more recent release but still). They've blended ska with scenecore so well that I actually LIKE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63mUODobMM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 am 
Syracuse Ska

Paranoia Dance Party! is an interesting musical journey that wanders in and out of ska.

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution I've always liked more than Streetlight, even if the latter is obviously more commercial and BOTAR has never been a real band to speak of.

Dave Kirchgessner of Mustard Plug and I were discussing this one day and discovered we both have been collecting really unusual ska for many years. I have some pretty wild stuff that is crazy obscure. And in that collection, "most unique" would be hard to pin down.

For example, I have a release by The Swanky Modes from Alfred NY that is arguably one of the worst ska albums ever recorded in Upstate NY. It's sooooo bad that it's actually totally hilarious. I'll try to remember to post a track or two for people to enjoy here sometime. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 pm 
Book it Up Rochester

Ben - I had never heard Bandgeek Mafia before but it's definitely interesting. I haven't heard any band like that. Also, I agree that TFT has lost most of its ska sound. I love the instrumentation in "Vines" though; the part where the bongos come in is the best.

Danny - I would like to hear!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 am 
Ruder Than You

You guys need to become acquainted with the Mayor of Ska City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpET6e_xts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:09 am 
Syracuse Ska

Or his original inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-AxBlbMCAA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:23 pm 
Where Am I???

Most definitely the mad conductor. Everybody must check them out, singer is the same one as No Cash. Awesome and unique sound. Again, check em out

Profile E-mail