Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Syracuse University 60s style ska band
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 pm 
Syracuse Ska

There is a new Syracuse University 60s style ska band. They don't really have a name yet (they promise to have one by this weekend), but they're already making waves.

Their first show was opening for The Void Union last week at Funk'n Waffles. I had no idea they were playing, so I missed their set, but I caught them tonight at Funk'n Waffles playing a fundraiser for US congressional candidate Dan Maffei put on by the SU College Democrats.

This is a 9 piece band, including keyboards, trumpet, trombone, saxophone and most surprisingly, a girl playing flute. The best players so far seem to be the drummer and bassist, who put down a good ska beat for the others to layer onto. They mostly covered the Skatalites tonight, but I have no complaint about that. They're already pretty good and this was only their 2nd show, so they're gonna get a lot better, especially as they're all freshmen and sophomores.

So far they're only doing instrumentals, but they'll be adding a female vocalist shortly. And they've already agreed to play Devils Night Out -- we'll add them as soon as they come up with a real name.

I'm very, very excited. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Syracuse University 60s style ska band
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 am 
Rude & Reckless

f*ck yeah.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 am 
Scene Diety

this sounds awesome -

except for your vacant stare

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 pm 
Syracuse Ska

DevonJames wrote:
What's up everyone. My names is Devon James Stewart. I am from Boston and am now in my second year at SU.

I was more or less born into ska. My father is Ken Stewart and plays keyboards with the Skatalites. I think Lloyd Knibb has been more of a grandfather to me than my real one.

Favorite bands: The Skatalites, Sound Demension, Toots and the Maytals, Monty Alexander, Ernest Ranglin, Easy Star All Stars,The Toasters, John Brown's Body, Spiritual Rez, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad, Groundation, Westbound Train, The Void Union, Satori

I like ska music because there are no labels writing the music for the bands, it's pretty much just REAL people playing some REAL music. I love travel to new cities and countries to play with people. I like to hear people's stories about traveling/touring. And the best thing is that at a ska show you will rarely see a fight because people are too busy dancing.

The greatest memory from any show that I have would be from the Skatalites summer tour of 07. We were in San Sabastian playing at the Jazzaldia Festival for Heineken and I was standing on the boardwalk hold a beer, talking to my dad and a woman who just saw our show. The sun started to go down and there was a beautiful sunset on the ocean.

Anyways I have a new band here on campus more trad. ska/ reggae/ funk. We are looking for a new name but have been playing @ Funk N Waffles under the name "Unofficially Announced." We play at MESIA Battle of the Bands this Wednesday, Sept 17th in the Schine Undergound at SU, please come out and show your support!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

papa stewart
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... ID=8877301

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:40 am 
Scene Diety

Devon - you were playing onstage with them at the Rochester Jazz fest, right?

Killer show for the skatalites as usual that day. I was telling a neighbor I was attending and a woman who receives child care at her home lamented that she hadn't seen the skatalites since before Doreen died...I was like "ummmmmm...what?" I let her go on thinking what she wanted since that was much easier than trying to explain she was totally misinformed. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Yea man, that was me.

Did we not have Doreen for that show? I can't remember because we also had Dion Knibb, Lloyd's son, singing for a few dates but I can't really pick out which ones.

We are playing again this week at the Schine Underground in the basement of Schine Student Center on Wednesday @ 8...FOR FREE.

But you gotta get a ticket in the Schine Box Office tho....

Devon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm 
Scene Diety

Yeah..Doreen was there. Always a treat when it comes to her part of a skatalites set.

At any rate, I don't think the woman I was speaking with went...lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:17 am 
Paid Some Dues

We are Native Informant

http://www.myspace.com/nativeinformantny

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm 
The Gnarwhals

skadanny wrote:
There is a new Syracuse University 60s style ska band. They don't really have a name yet (they promise to have one by this weekend), but they're already making waves.

Their first show was opening for The Void Union last week at Funk'n Waffles. I had no idea they were playing, so I missed their set, but I caught them tonight at Funk'n Waffles playing a fundraiser for US congressional candidate Dan Maffei put on by the SU College Democrats.

This is a 9 piece band, including keyboards, trumpet, trombone, saxophone and most surprisingly, a girl playing flute. The best players so far seem to be the drummer and bassist, who put down a good ska beat for the others to layer onto. They mostly covered the Skatalites tonight, but I have no complaint about that. They're already pretty good and this was only their 2nd show, so they're gonna get a lot better, especially as they're all freshmen and sophomores.

So far they're only doing instrumentals, but they'll be adding a female vocalist shortly. And they've already agreed to play Devils Night Out -- we'll add them as soon as they come up with a real name.

I'm very, very excited. :thumbup:

ahh! okayyyy. so they're all about the same age of the last band i was in! THIS IS WONDERFUL.
im quite stoked. >.< i would love to doo thisss.