Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: College presidents urge new debate on drinking age
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:32 pm 
Syracuse Ska

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/08/18/co ... index.html

Beginning of CNN article wrote:
(AP) -- College presidents from about 100 of the nation's best-known universities, including Duke, Dartmouth and Ohio State, are calling on lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18, saying current laws actually encourage dangerous binge drinking on campus.

The movement called the Amethyst Initiative began quietly recruiting presidents more than a year ago to provoke national debate about the drinking age.

"This is a law that is routinely evaded," said John McCardell, former president of Middlebury College in Vermont who started the organization. "It is a law that the people at whom it is directed believe is unjust and unfair and discriminatory."

I think a national debate on this could be worthwhile. It appears the raising of the drinking age in America, while lowering DWI in this age bracket, has also largely shifted alcohol use from bars and college campuses that have legal responsibilities to keep it under some control to off campus private events that have absolutely no controls.

Quote:
"It's very clear the 21-year-old drinking age will not be enforced at those campuses," said Laura Dean-Mooney, national president of MADD.

That's a very outlandish and ill informed statement. Colleges routinely enforce the current drinking restrictions primarily because of liability concerns and this proposed national debate isn't going to change that situation. Its the same reason that bars largely try to follow the current law. And Syracuse University, which is mentioned as part of this initiative, has made a lot of efforts to discourage alcohol use and 99% of it has been largely ineffective. So I suppose that means MADD wants SU to pretend their kids aren't drinking off campus?

I also think its ridiculous that MADD doesn't want to allow a national debate on this subject, where they presumably would be allowed to strenuously argue their perspective. While I'm highly sympathetic to MADD, I also find most parents are terribly naive about the alcohol use of their kids away at college. Maybe its time everyone starts facing up to the realities of the current situation instead of pretending that what isn't done openly isn't done at all. I really don't think the current hypocrisy is serving anyones interest.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: College presidents urge new debate on drinking age
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:19 am 
Kingston Beat

I think you know my stance on changing the drinking age, Danny. :lol:

Seriously though, when I stayed with my friend at Drexel in Philly, they had bottles of tequila just hangin around in their freezer. It's not enforced regularly on certain campuses I've seen. However, I was at OCC when they did room checks for drugs/alcohol, though. I guess it just depends.

They don't check laundry baskets, for the record.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 am 
Scene Diety

I drank quite a bit by the time I was 21 - that I recall not even really wanting to hit a bar on my birthday.. I think I went to sleep early that night . : D

except for your vacant stare

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:41 pm 
Slum Lord

Don't forget your roots assholes.

TrevoRoverT wrote:
i fuc.king ended it with "wooo mother f.ucker wooo"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm 
Scene Diety

I don't really see any benefit to this other than to maybe dispel the hype of drinking an ass hair...something "binge drinkers" don't care mucha bout anyhow.

so no problem with this...other than having a TON more kids out drunk on the weekends?

except for your vacant stare

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 pm 
Slum Lord

People are just scared. MADD is comfortable with the idea that the drinking age has been 21 since the 80s. No one wants change.

21+ was a 20 year experiment that backfired, I think. Honestly, it's just about at rock bottom with the abuse on campuses. What can it hurt changing it back to 18+?

Also, parents should take more responsibility making alcohol seem as less of an issue and teach kids that drinking every so often is fine. Instead of hyping it up to be the devil and letting 18 years olds run off and do it in spite of mom and dad.

TrevoRoverT wrote:
i fuc.king ended it with "wooo mother f.ucker wooo"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:44 pm 
Scene Diety

xBigNateDx wrote:
People are just scared. MADD is comfortable with the idea that the drinking age has been 21 since the 80s. No one wants change.

21+ was a 20 year experiment that backfired, I think. Honestly, it's just about at rock bottom with the abuse on campuses. What can it hurt changing it back to 18+?

Also, parents should take more responsibility making alcohol seem as less of an issue and teach kids that drinking every so often is fine. Instead of hyping it up to be the devil and letting 18 years olds run off and do it in spite of mom and dad.

you have no idea how f.ucking hard i'm laughing right now

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 pm 
Endive

xBigNateDx wrote:

hahaha awesome

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:05 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Hows about we drop the drinking age to 18 and make the driving age 21? I could use it living in a college town with thousands of (no offense) little kids crashing daddy's hummer

Profile E-mail