Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:40 am 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:
I know a bunch of people who refuse to dance at shows.

Ska isn't completely about dancing.

No, it's not. But it IS dance music and that's how most people respond to dance music.

I've never seen a show with 100% of the kids dancing, but the more of the kids that dance, usually the better everyone likes it.

Just out of curiosity -- why do some of these kids refuse to dance?

I hope its not a fear of looking stupid or looking "uncool". Those are bad reasons, I'd say ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:04 am 
Checkered Demon

skadanny wrote:
Stalking Roxy - "Where You Hide"

That just made my morning.

Catch 22 - Kristina
ASOB - RocketRocketRocketship
ASOB - Piss Off
The Slackers - Wasted Days
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Everybody's Better

And, at a live show:

Streetlight Manifesto - A Moment of Silence
Streetlight Manifesto - If And When... (but it has to have the intro and the extra horn solos at the end, because the intro and the horn solos are just great to dance to. Unfortunately, I don't think they've been playing it that way this tour :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:44 pm 
Ruder Than You

skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

No, it's not. But it IS dance music and that's how most people respond to dance music.

I've never seen a show with 100% of the kids dancing, but the more of the kids that dance, usually the better everyone likes it.

I hope its not a fear of looking stupid or looking "uncool". Those are bad reasons, I'd say ...

I can't imagine it's out of fear of being unstylish, the coolest people I've ever seen at shows are those who dance the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:04 pm 
Show Regular

Ben wrote:
skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

I can't imagine it's out of fear of being unstylish, the coolest people I've ever seen at shows are those who dance the best

Then why the hell do you hang out with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:17 pm 
585 Ska

Karenjacktastic wrote:
Ben wrote:
skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

I dunno, this is one of those misconceptions about ska that annoy me. Just because you listen to ska doesn't mean you have to like/want/need to dance. Allie, a friend of mine, doesn't dance. I know people who would rather be in front having dry sex with everyone just for that chance to touch the bamd. Some people don't even know how and don't want to learn. Some people just don't like to. Others would rather mosh or crowd surf. It is all personal preference.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:09 am 
Show Regular

Mike wrote:
Karenjacktastic wrote:
Ben wrote:
skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

I dunno, this is one of those misconceptions about ska that annoy me. Just because you listen to ska doesn't mean you have to like/want/need to dance. Allie, a friend of mine, doesn't dance. I know people who would rather be in front having dry sex with everyone just for that chance to touch the bamd. Some people don't even know how and don't want to learn. Some people just don't like to. Others would rather mosh or crowd surf. It is all personal preference.

Uh it was a joke. I dance at every show I physically can (I haven't been able to dance for a few months because I hurt my leg). Ben is my best friend, and I was ripping on my own dancing abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:00 pm 
585 Ska

I wasn't talking to you, I misquoted and was responding to Danny's earlier question.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:33 pm 
Ruder Than You

why do people mosh at ska shows, I mean, if i went to see the Casualties or Cannibal Corpse or something I would expect it, but how do you mosh to ska, the beat doesn't really allow for it I find... crowd surfing i can see for the more aggressive bands like Big D or ASOB, or even for The Planet Smashers or Reel Big Fish. I dont know, not as many complaints there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:44 pm 
585 Ska

Ben wrote:
why do people mosh at ska shows, I mean, if i went to see the Casualties or Cannibal Corpse or something I would expect it, but how do you mosh to ska, the beat doesn't really allow for it I find... crowd surfing i can see for the more aggressive bands like Big D or ASOB, or even for The Planet Smashers or Reel Big Fish. I dont know, not as many complaints there

Just because there is a beat doesn't mean that it isn't possible to elbow somebody in the face.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:44 pm 
Show Regular

Ben wrote:
crowd surfing i can see for the more aggressive bands like Big D or ASOB, or even for The Planet Smashers or Reel Big Fish. I dont know, not as many complaints there

That is not how you will earn that .5 cool point back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:29 am 
Syracuse Ska

Karenjacktastic wrote:
Ben wrote:
crowd surfing i can see for the more aggressive bands like Big D or ASOB, or even for The Planet Smashers or Reel Big Fish. I dont know, not as many complaints there

That is not how you will earn that .5 cool point back.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of show antics that basically scream, "look at me everybody!".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:26 am 
Scene Diety

i dont think youre giving crowd surfing enough credit for how fun it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:44 am 
Show Regular

TrevoRoverT wrote:

I've done it before, at Warped Tour and a few punk shows. It's not nearly enough fun to validate how much of a pain in the ass it is to everyone else. I deal with it at punk shows, because it comes with the territory, but at a ska show, no way. You're trying to dance, and BAM someone falls on your head. Not f*ckin' cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:47 pm 
Scene Diety

Karenjacktastic wrote:
TrevoRoverT wrote:

I've done it before, at Warped Tour and a few punk shows. It's not nearly enough fun to validate how much of a pain in the ass it is to everyone else. I deal with it at punk shows, because it comes with the territory, but at a ska show, no way. You're trying to dance, and BAM someone falls on your head. Not f*ckin' cool.

yeah i understand that, but what i meant was that people do it for fun, not to be an attention whore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 pm 
Show Regular

TrevoRoverT wrote:
Karenjacktastic wrote:
TrevoRoverT wrote:

yeah i understand that, but what i meant was that people do it for fun, not to be an attention whore

Fun or not, it's a pain in the ass for 99.999999% of the people in the crowd.