Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aquabats 07/01/2005 -- B.B King Blues Club & Grill, NY,
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:11 pm 
New Kid

I've known Danny since I went to Syracuse University (I think '97...whoa), and he just sent me a link to this forum. I thought I'd try and contribute.

-----

The Aquabats, July 1, 2005, B.B. King Blues Club & Grill, New York, NY

Opening acts: The Epoxies, The Phenomenauts

Price: $13

This was the first show I had been to since I was a student at Syracuse in 2001. After graduation, pretty much every band I loved broke up (Skavoovie, the Pilfers, the Articles, etc.), and I was finding it difficult to follow the scene in New York (there are no people in NYC as dedicated as Danny when it comes to promoting ska shows).

Anyway, my girl and I decided we needed to see a show, so I bought tickets to the Aquabats after reading about their last U.S. tour this year before heading to Europe.

As pretty much all New Yorkers do, we were fashionably late to the show, completely missing the Phenomenauts. As a rule, I typically try and miss opening bands, although in retrospect, I probably missed some good DLO or Short Round shows that way.

We got there in time for the Epoxies, and they put on a good set. If you're not familiar with them, they play up tempo pop-punk, and are good showmen. They were on strict time limit, and were allowed no encores. Essentially, after their last song, they were booted off stage.

Because B.B. King's place is highly commercialized and corporate-oriented, they moved things right along. The Aquabats were on stage no less than twenty minutes after the Epoxies played their last note.

The lights went down, and two forward projection screens turned on. It was a mock ad for a twisted children's product, advertised by none other than the Bat Commander himself. There was a collective laugh shared by the crowd, which seemed to be pretty varied in composition. Lots of teenagers, some 20-somethings, and a few older than that.

After the ad, the Aquabats took the stage to great applause, and began their shtick about saving the world. Their first song was "Super Rad", and the crowd was with them all the way. It's rare to go to a show where everyone in attendance is rabid over the group playing. Last time I witnessed this was in 1999, when the Toasters came to Hungry Charlie's. Bucket had the crowd in the palm of his hand.

The show was fast moving, and they played a little from each album, including their new one. I wasn't super crazy about their new songs, as they were a little less ska than I'm used to. They weren't bad by any means, and at least they weren't as horrible as Save Ferris' non-ska outings.

The group ran the show like it was a Saturday morning cartoon, taking short "commercial" breaks to show more videos on the two screens. They fought with a number of bad guys, one of which eventually defeated the Bat Commander.

This was perhaps the most entertaining part of the show. As the Bat Commander lay dead from a snake bite, the rest of the group got the audience to sing Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" in order to bring him back to life. The Bat Commander miraculously came back to life, and defeated the snake enemy, restoring justice and peace to the world.

My lasting impression of the Aquabats was that they were consummate professionals, and superb showmen. There was a great mix of pre-planned antics and improv, keeping things fresh and entertaining. The band seemed to really enjoy what they were doing, which really rubs off on the audience. After the set ended, and they played an encore of "Pool Party", everyone leaving B.B. Kings had the same feeling; "What a great show!" Absolutely no one left saying, "I've seen better."

If you haven't seen the Aquabats before, I high suggest making time to go catch them. You won't be disappointed.

Post subject: Re: Aquabats 07/01/2005 -- B.B King Blues Club & Grill,
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:46 am 
585 Ska

They must've been totally exhausted when they hit Buffalo on the 4th, 'cause the Cobra-Man bit dragged on forever.

For for some reason, I was the only member of my posse that dug the Epoxies. Oh well.

But we all agreed that the Phenomenauts were way-freaking-cool, even if they left out the leaf-blower/toilet-paper cannon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:49 am 
585 Ska

aka_twitch wrote:
But we all agreed that the Phenomenauts were way-freaking-cool, even if they left out the leaf-blower/toilet-paper cannon.

Which is to say, they did bring it out (and left a few ply that stuck on the ceiling for the whole show,) but it would've been an awesome set even without all the cool gimmicks they used.

"I'm getting a transmission from another planet! And they claim their planet is cooler than ours! We must prove them wrong!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:50 am 
Rude & Reckless

i was at that new york show!!!

it was awesome! a million times better than the buffalo show! someone got engaged for pete's sake!

i don't know if you remember when the epoxies stopped and the singer said "everyone look at that girl's outfit! it's awesome!" she was talking to the girl i was there with...score!

:: smo ::

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:44 am 
Syracuse Ska

some rudie wrote:
I know of 3 people who heavily promote ska in NYC, including Snow White (who is still on SkaBoard instead of here) who probably do bigger shows, and far more frequent shows than myself.

Looks like Snow White has now joined our forum too.

Welcome!! :D

We'd love for you to intro yourself in that thread. I know you only by rep, but I've heard very good things about your NYC shows ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:23 am 
Ska Queen

aka_twitch wrote:
They must've been totally exhausted when they hit Buffalo on the 4th, 'cause the Cobra-Man bit dragged on forever.

For for some reason, I was the only member of my posse that dug the Epoxies. Oh well.

Hey hey. It was the first time seeing The Aquabats for me, and I personally thought they were pretty darn cool.

And yeah, I wasn't much impressed by The Epoxies, but that's okay. It gave me a chance to stop dancing after The Phenomenauts and catch my breath/dry off some sweat.

MMMmmm, The Phenomenauts... ::drools::

Man, we had a ton of fun at that show, didn't we Twitch? We totally have to do it again, go out to shows together and then out for food after. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:55 pm 
Checkered Demon

It doesn't get much better than The Aquabats. They're my favorite band, hands down. They put on such a sweet show and they're all about their fans. Seriously, what other band can you dress up as your favorite superheroes and not look insane?
I didn't make it to any of the NY shows since I was down in the ATL with my cousin so we caught the show there.
Awesome band though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:48 am 
585 Ska

Aiyana Catori wrote:
Hey hey. It was the first time seeing The Aquabats for me, and I personally thought they were pretty darn cool.

Well, I'd already seen the Pudding Belt and Footrub/Medicinal Leeches commercials, and there was only one guest villain last year. The White Buffalo promptly got his butt kicked by Fritz the Bouncer, as opposed to the Endless Reign of Cobra-Man and the Preemptive Strike against Mud Girl.

I did like it when Bat Commander asked the crowd what they should do with White Buffalo and Canadian Mystery, and someone shouted, "make them play some horns!" *sigh*

Profile E-mail