Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:58 pm 
Ska Queen

Yeah, the Common Grounds kicks ass. I love that place.

Man.. I haven't been there in a long time.. Think I might have to go for a visit soon. 8) Ooooh yeah.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:41 am 
Ruder Than You

1.) Red Creek (middle of nowhere)
2.) My 4th/5th grade teacher was really into ska, and he played for me the first ska song I ever heard: "The Bumble Bee Tuna Song" by Mephiskapheles.
3.) I like C-22 (as you may or may not already know), Mad Caddies, Mustard Plug, Big D & the Kids Table, Skavoovie and the Epitones, The Slackers (though I've only heard one song ("Propaganda")), Planet Smashers, The Benefits, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Straighter Than Pete, The Aquabats, Goldfinger, Less Than Jake, Sublime, and many many more.
4.) I like the horns :P because I play trumpet and I can basically play anything that I listen to.
5.) Favorite show moments? well, firstly, At the Amy Ryan and the Operatives/The Glow/Mass Hysteria/Mrs. Skanotto show a while back in Webster was prolly one of my favorites. Why? Because there was about 10 people there, I started the smallest skank pit ever (3 people) and watching the skinheads dance (not really skank, but sort of weird dance moves). Plus, Mrs. Skanotto is one of the most random bands ever. Don't get me wrong, I think they're awesome, but their singer is like 30-something, and looks like a bouncer, and their bassist was 16, and he was really really talented.

Last edited by zman on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: hello and a shameless plug
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:56 pm 
New Kid

Hi I'm Helen. I'm so old that I bought the first Specials album the year it came out. This quirky girl from school was roller skating past my house carrying her Radio Shack cassette player, blaring The Specials. It was haunting and catchy and it changed my life.

I hope this is the polite place to mention that I've just opened a vintage clothing store in Syracuse, on the west side near Westvale plaza. We keep odd hours so please check our website before you visit. AND we sell checkered tights. end of shameless plug. thanks!

Post subject: Re: hello and a shameless plug
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:19 am 
Syracuse Ska

helen_on_earth wrote:
I hope this is the polite place to mention that I've just opened a vintage clothing store in Syracuse, on the west side near Westvale plaza. We keep odd hours so please check our website before you visit. AND we sell checkered tights. end of shameless plug. thanks!

Feel free to even put your own thread up on the new vintage store. We can never have too many of those in Syracuse. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:04 pm 
Paid Some Dues

_

Last edited by Ace Flannigan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:07 pm 
Rude & Reckless

Ace Flannigan wrote:
1.) My name is Nick Galluch, I live in Buffalo and play Organ/Synth/Keytar for Rex Banner.
2.) I got into ska when I was like 12. I started listening to the Specials and a lot of Skinhead Reggae because my brother's friend let me borrow a comp he had.
3.) My favorite ska bands are in no order: The Specials, Aquabats, Planet Smashers, Toasters, Mustard Plug, English Beat, MADNESS, Hotknives, Desmond Decker, Laurel Atkins, Toots and the Maytals, The Ops, Selecter
4.) The general absence of jerks. Kids are just looking for a good time with good music and good friends. It's not a fashion show.
5.) Having the any other band tell us they liked our music and what we are doing. Not so much a moment but yeah it's freakin sweet having REAL musicians tell you they thought your band was cool.

youre my hero. i kid you not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:41 pm 
Ruder Than You

zman wrote:
5.) Favorite show moments? well, firstly, At the Amy Ryan and the Operatives/The Glow/Mass Hysteria/Mrs. Skanotto show a while back in Webster was prolly one of my favorites. Why? Because there was about 10 people there, I started the smallest skank pit ever (3 people)

I think i was in that skank pit! That was a great show even though it was pretty empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:14 am 
Ruder Than You

zane wrote:
I think i was in that skank pit! That was a great show even though it was pretty empty.

Seriously?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 am 
Syracuse Ska

Ace Flannigan wrote:
1.) My name is Nick Galluch, I live in Buffalo and play Organ/Synth/Keytar for Rex Banner.

3.) My favorite ska bands are in no order: Hotknives

You and I are probably the only Hotknives fans here ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:21 pm 
Paid Some Dues

The Hotknives are awesome. 3 words. Don't Go Away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:55 am 
Ska Queen

skadanny wrote:
Ace Flannigan wrote:
You and I are probably the only Hotknives fans here ...

Nah. I'm here too.
Also, keytar is hott.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: hello and a shameless plug
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:56 am 
Ska Queen

skadanny wrote:
Feel free to even put your own thread up on the new vintage store. We can never have too many of those in Syracuse. :D

YESSSSS. I would LOVE to come visit your shop sometime. Not only am I a HUGE fan of vintage clothing shops, but I also love stranged colored tights, and supporting local businesses.

What's the URL?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:28 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) I'm Alex. I'm 19, a sophomore at SU, and stuck in Day Hall.
2) I've always been a band nerd. Then one day someone showed me there is a genre out there that combines punk and marching band! Hooray!
3) Big RBF fan. Also into Big D, Streetlight, The Hippos, Planet Smashers, and Catch 22.
4) What do I like about the ska scene? The atmosphere. People tend to be pretty cool.
5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows? Skanking.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:16 pm 
Show Regular

AlOz42 wrote:
1) I'm Alex. I'm 19, a sophomore at SU, and stuck in Day Hall.
2) I've always been a band nerd. Then one day someone showed me there is a genre out there that combines punk and marching band! Hooray!
3) Big RBF fan. Also into Big D, Streetlight, The Hippos, Planet Smashers, and Catch 22.
4) What do I like about the ska scene? The atmosphere. People tend to be pretty cool.
5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows? Skanking.

:wink:

Bout time you joined this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:49 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1.) Im Nick, im 16 and i live in hickvile USA (Red Creek)
2.) I've been very much into ska since 2002 when i went to the wapred tour and saw the planet smashers, that was the point which i got hooked on ska.
3.) I like The Planet Smashers, C-22, Streetlight Manifesto, Big D, RBF, LTJ, the Vodoo Glow Skulls, and many many more.
4.) The people in the Ska scene are really cool, there's none of that whole i'm hardcore so im gonna slit my throat and wear a bandanna.
5.) At the Amy Ryan and the Operatives/The Glow/Mass Hysteria/Mrs. Skanotto show a while back in Webster were me and my friend known as zman started a three person skank pit at a show where there was probably only 15 people, that was a freaken awesome show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next