Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: summer ska sales!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:28 pm 
Rude & Reckless

hey all!

so we've all been working away this summer...what better way to spend that hard earned dough than on some sweet sweet ska?! there's some pretty awesome ska sales going on right now on the vast interweb! check em out!

http://www.asianmanrecords.com

[from the mouth...er...fingers? of mike park]

VINYL MADNESS- $10

Please people, there must be vinyl lovers out there??  You may have noticed that I've stopped doing vinyl in the last two years and that's because it costs a fortune and nobody buys it.  I had a record at a show at a kid asked me if it was a calendar.  DOH!!  That's a sign that you're getting old.  Well, here's the deal.  The US POST OFFICE now has a flat rate box that I can fit about 10 LP'S and about 6-8  7 inches in one box.  You will receive ten of the following records: MU330-S/T, BROADWAYS-BROKEN STAR, SOFTBALL-TENKU, LINK 80-STRUGGLE CONTINUES/17 REASONS, POTSHOT-TIL' I DIE, CHINKEES-PEACE THRU MUSIC, UNSTEADY-DOUBLE OR NOTHING, TUESDAY-FREE WHEELIN, SLOW GHERKIN-DOUBLE HAPPINESS, POTSHOT-ROCK N' ROLL.  You will receive 8 of the following 7 inches: AHIRO, DUVALL, KOREA GIRL, ASTROPOP 3, POTSHOT, MEALTICKET, TOYS THAT KILL, COQUETTISH.  If we run out of something, we will send something else in it's place.  The cost of this normally would be $112. These are all made on the thickest high quality vinyl.  Come on PUNK ROCKERS!!  Don't forget your roots.  This will be available for the next two months.  ENJOY! Shipping is $4.

http://www.jumpuprecords.com/sale.html

get 25 cds for 30 bucks! they've got some overstock stuff, and are trying to thin it out but there's some really good stuff in the mix! check out their list you can pick from!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:26 pm 
Ska Queen

No EFFING Way.

ALL that vinyl for $10? No, I don't believe you. Vinyl is where it's at. My record collection grows constantly with my super thrift store and bargain buying abilities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:35 pm 
Paid Some Dues

If only I had a $10 turntable to play these all on...haha. Just kidding, I have one kicking around but it sucks. Out of curiosity, how much does a good quality turntable go for used these days? I guess I could check ebay..
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 pm 
Ska Queen

I got mine for like $40 at RadioShack a few years ago. I had been using my mom's old turntable, but the needle was dead and it just didn't work right, the buttons were all pushed in or falling out. But now I have a nice new(ish) turntable and I love it muchly. I even bought a 3-pack of extra needles, just in case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:59 am 
Syracuse Ska

mmmburritos wrote:
If only I had a $10 turntable to play these all on...haha. Just kidding, I have one kicking around but it sucks. Out of curiosity, how much does a good quality turntable go for used these days? I guess I could check ebay..
-Mike

Or check the garage sales. They always have them cheap at those and you can always buy a new needle easily enough at a music shop like that one on James Street (it's still there, I hope).

And as for the Jump Up sale, I have about half of those CDs and they're all pretty decent, although most of you won't care for most of the songs on each individual CD. I find JumpUp releases (which is what these all are) tend to have a good song or two and the rest of the CD tends to be weak, unless you're very fond of the individual band. Now the stuff he distros, that's an entirely different situation altogether. Some of those CDs are classics. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:02 am 
Checkered Demon

You're looking at a person who knows a lot about turntables. I'm actually a DJ.

The good turntables are Technics 1200's, Numark TTX's, Staton STR8-150's and so on. Those go for about $300 on ebay. I don't think you'll be using your turntable for spinning so I don't think it makes a huge difference. If you want to get into the DJ scene then hey...

EDIT- Where can you find this deal on the site?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:48 am 
Rude & Reckless

i just got the asian man stuff, it's awesome! i got 10 lps and 10 7"'s for 10 dollars! i've been listening to them while i clean my new apartment. totally worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:27 am 
Ska Queen

I'm gonna order them this weekend. Hehe, doing a big internet order thing this weekend. Asian Man stuff, gotta let Johnny know what crap I need from him, then tickets to Allman Brothers Band, and I'm looking at new ampage as well.

8) Ooooh yeah.

Profile E-mail