It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laurel Aitken passes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:11 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

Was blessed to see him live in syracuse. He will be missed:

Laurel Aitken passes

Posted By: Sista Irie <Send E-Mail>
Date: Sunday, 17 July 2005, at 6:35 p.m.

Greetings, this news was passed on to me today. I hope

This is a little bio I picked up on Laurel on the internet:

Known as "the Godfather of Ska," Laurel Aitken was Jamaica's first real recording star. He was a pioneer in many other respects as well: he was one of the first artists ever to release a ska record, the first to work at promoting his music in the U.K., and one of the first to record for the seminal Island label, itself a major force in the international popularity of Jamaican music. Cutting his teeth on the sort of jump blues and boogie shuffles popular during the early days of American R&B, Aitken recorded numerous hits for a variety of labels over the years, enjoying his heyday during the '60s. His continued presence in the U.K. made him an elder statesman to the Two Tone ska revival movement of the punk era, and he continued to tour even into the new millennium.

Aitken was born in Cuba on April 22, 1927, and moved to his father's homeland of Jamaica in 1938. At age 15, he won a prominent talent competition with his rendition of "Pennies From Heaven"; around the same time, he also sang as part of a calypso group that performed for tourists arriving on the island from cruise ships. Aitken developed his singing and songwriting chops on a wide variety of material: jump blues (especially those of Louis Jordan and the young Nat King Cole), New Orleans R&B, calypso, and the indigenous Jamaican folk style mento. He became a popular nightclub performer around Kingston, and officially joined the nascent Jamaican recording industry in 1957, when he recorded (and produced) the R&B/calypso spiritual "Roll Jordan Roll." The following year, he began recording for producer Chris Blackwell's fledgling Island label; his double-A-sided "Little Sheila"/"Boogie in My Bones" was the first single ever released on Island, as well as one of the earliest ska records. It was also a massive hit in Jamaica, topping the charts for nearly three months, and went on to become the first Jamaican record ever issued in the U.K.

Aitken scored another hit with 1959's gospel-informed "Judgement Day," an early production by the legendary Duke Reid, and repeated his success with 1960's "Boogie Rock." In the meantime, he recorded for several prominent producers, including Reid, Leslie Kong, and Ken Khouri. In 1960, spurred by the popularity of his records in England, Aitken moved to London, specifically the heavily West Indian area of Brixton. There he began recording for Blue Beat, the first British-based label to cater to Jamaican immigrant tastes. Blue Beat's first single was a reissue of "Boogie Rock," and not long after, "Mary Lee" became the first song Aitken recorded specifically for the label. As a prominent Jamaican who'd chosen to make his home in Brixton, Aitken's popularity among the U.K.'s West Indian immigrants soon exceeded the stardom he'd enjoyed back home.

Aitken cut more than 15 singles for Blue Beat, then temporarily returned to Jamaica in 1963 for a recording binge that often found him backed by the Skatalites. Some tracks, like "Weary Wanderer" and "Zion," were produced by Reid; another, the hit "Bad Minded Woman," was released by Aitken's new U.K. label, Rio. Aitken remained with Rio through 1966, issuing around 20 singles and also recording for several other small labels. Rio went bankrupt, and during the late '60s, Aitken signed a new deal with the Pama family of labels (Nu Beat, Doctor Bird, etc.), partly because the company helped him out with his overdue child support payments. This arrangement resulted in some of his biggest U.K. hits, many of which he penned himself: "Fire in Mi Wire," "Pussy Price" (both early slack numbers), "Landlord and Tenants," "It's Too Late," "Jesse James," "Rise & Fall," "Woppi King," and "Skinhead Train," to name the biggest. This material was among Aitken's most enduring, and broadened his appeal to white audiences (mostly skinheads and mods).

The ascent of Bob Marley and the new Rastafarian emphasis on culturally relevant reggae made Aitken's music seem somewhat outdated in the '70s. He moved to Leicester, well outside of London, and while he performed occasionally, he was effectively retired from recording. However, the Two Tone ska revival of the late '70s made Aitken's style hip all over again, and the English Beat rewrote the lyrics of "Pussy Price" for their own "Ranking Full Stop." Aitken returned to the recording studio and came up with "Rudy Got Married," which became his first ever U.K. chart single in 1981. Aitken resumed his regular U.K. tours during the '80s, and spent a year and a half working with a band called the Potato 5, with whom he recorded on Gaz's Rockin' Records. In 1986, he appeared alongside David Bowie in the mod film Absolute Beginners; additionally, UB40 covered Aitken's single "Guilty" (recorded under the name Tiger) on their hit Labour of Love album, further increasing his visibility. Aitken performed with several third wave ska bands over the '80s and '90s, and although his recording activity dropped off substantially, he continued to tour into the new millennium, even documenting and releasing a performance titled Live at Club Ska, issued in 2004. ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:13 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

London's Club Ska is reporting that at 8 am this morning Laurel Aitken, widely acknowledged as the 'Godfather of Ska' and affectionately known as 'Boss Skinhead,' died of a heart attack at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester, England. Aitken was born in Cuba on April 22, 1927 and moved to his father's homeland of Jamaica in 1938. In 1957 he began his recording career with the single "Roll Jordan Roll." The double A-side "Little Sheila" / "Boogie in my Bones" was the first single released on Chris Blackwell's Island Records, one of the first ever ska records, and the first Jamaican recording ever released in England. Aitken relocated to the U.K. and recorded numerous hits throughout the 60s. He was later acknowledged as "an elder statesman to the Two Tone ska revival movement of the punk era" (AllMusic).

The 2-Tone era saw Aitken performing with the English Beat, touring with mod band Secret Affair, and backed by punk/reggae act the Ruts. In the 80s Aitken regularly toured the U.K. and recorded with British act Potato 5. In 1986 appeared in mod film Absolute Beginners alongside David Bowie. Throughout the late 90s he performed with several third-wave ska acts, including the Toasters and the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble. Most recently, 2002 saw the release of Live at Club Ska.

Our deepest condolences go out to the Laurel's family, friends and fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 am 
Show Regular

Now that's a bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:52 pm 
The Hoboz

* Puts on 'Rudi Got Married' as I read the article

That sucks so much. His music is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:06 am 
Syracuse Ska

WHOA. I was just explaining to Justine who Laurel Aitken was, because I used a photo of him on the flyer for this coming Saturday's show.

THIS IS REALLY, REALLY DEPRESSING. :cry:

Well, this means I need to work double-time to make sure kids know who Laurel Aitken was and why they should care. What an amazing performer, what an amazing career and what an amazing ambassador for ska he was. It also blows my mind he actually played a little all ages show in Syracuse once -- imagine that.

A very classy legend. Now gone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:57 am 
Ska Queen

Yeah, it sucks that I didn't actually know who he was. I hate when that happens. When someone tells me about this cool musician and then I find out that they're dead, or are no longer playing, etc, etc.

I, along with several others, know far too little about ska, its history, and basic bands. But then again, it's why I'm trying to be more involved, I want to learn it all.

Sorry all you guys are bummed it. Come to the show this weekend and let the music make you happy again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:42 am 
Syracuse Ska

Yeah, I stayed up late last night re-listening to all the Laurel Aitken I own. At least we have his music to remember him by. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:10 pm 
New Kid

sadly I never got the chance to see him perform...and I just missed a chance to see Desmond Dekker in NYC a few months ago....which I need to do before his time is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:52 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

From His Daughter:

AITKEN Laurel A very special father who was always there for me. Your kindness was no weakness you cared so much for me, full of understanding for everyone to see. In life you sang your songs for everyone to hear, you sang so sweetly daddy. I wish you was still here. _ From your loving Daughter Karlene. Your singing with the Angels now, so sing on Laurel, sing on (Billy). Gentle Jesus up above, Please give grandad all my love. God bless. _ Karlene, Amber and Billy.

Published: 20/07/2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

Laurel Aitken was born in Cuba but moved to Jamaica with his family at
a young age.

He began his musical career in the 1940s in Jamaica, singing songs in
the Nat King Cole/Louis Jordan style of that time, cutting his teeth
on the sounds of R'n'B, soul and calypso.

His big break came in 1958 with the release of the Little
Sheila/Boogie in My Bones double A-side, the first ever released on a
new label called Island Records.

Little Sheila spent 11 weeks at number one in the Jamaican charts. He
emigrated to England in the early 60s and his music became very
popular with Jamaicans, as well as "mods".

He moved to Leicester in 1971 and continued to give vibrant
performances well into his 70s, even after he was struck down by
bronchial pneumonia 18 months ago.

He could count many well-known names in the music industry among his
friends, such as Prince Buster, Terry Hall and Patto Banton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

THE 'GODFATHER OF SKA' DIES AFTER LONG ILLNESS

BY TIM SMITH

10:30 - 19 July 2005

Laurel Aitken - the man known as The Godfather of Ska - has died aged

Mr Aitken, who lived in Leicester's St Mark's estate, was credited
with introducing ska music to the world after emigrating to the UK
from Jamaica.

Tributes have poured in for the musician, who died on Sunday,
following a battle with bronchial pneumonia.

He was known for his dynamic performances and recorded numerous
classic tracks, including Rudi Got Married, Bartender and Little
Sheila.

His musical style spawned a huge following among "mods" in Britain,
including the 80's 2-Tone movement which led to the creation of bands
such as The Specials, The Beat, The Selector, Bad Manners and Madness.

Mr Aitken was taken seriously ill 18 months ago and was in Leicester
Royal Infirmary for about six weeks.

He recovered to such an extent he was even booked for a major
performance at Leicester's Athena venue in September.

However, his condition deteriorated and he died on Sunday, two days
after a doctor advised him not to perform at a gig at The Musician, in
Leicester.

Saxophone player Drew Stansall, 36, of Highfields, who performed many
concerts with Mr Aitken over the past seven years, said: "He was a
great front man. He really knew how to entertain a crowd. Music was
his life and he worked hard. I will miss him greatly."

Guitarist Stan Samuel, 42, from Braunstone, who played with Mr Aitken
for the past 20 years, said: "I grew up listening to his records. It
was an honour to play with him."

Friend Alison Mazzei, who sang with the legend, said: "Even in his old
age, he was still so vibrant. He was the youngest old man you could
ever meet."

Mr Aitken married Sandra - his partner of 35 years - while he was in
intensive care shortly before Christmas 2003.

Mrs Aitken, 63, today said she had received phone calls of sympathy
from all over the world.

She said: "Everybody loved him. When there was a piece in the Mercury
saying he was in intensive care, there were so many well-wishing
cards.

"We met in 1970, when he was on at a dance. I didn't know anything
about him at the time but he was such a gentleman."

Mr Aitken's niece Desley Howell, 42, from Hamilton, said he treated
her as a daughter.

She said: "He always looked after me. I remember one time I was
getting picked on and he chased the kids down the street with his
guitar."

The Athena is planning a tribute evening to Mr Aitken on the evening
he had been booked to perform, on September 23. Anyone who would like
to contribute to the show should call Alison Mazzei on 07985 494658.

Mr Aitken's funeral will be held at Gilroes Cemetery, on Thursday,
July 28, at noon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:55 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifestyl ... RIENDS.asp